Is it worth freelancing on Fiverr? How does it work? Learn everything about selling on Fiverr in this post.
In 2020, I started selling on Fiverr as a way to get my freelancing side hustle out there more. I quickly learned the do’s and dont’s of selling on this platform, especially if:
- you want your gig to get noticed as a new seller,
- and more importantly, Fiverr’s algorithm to start showing your post.
Before I give you these tips on selling on Fiverr, let’s talk about what Fiverr is, how it works and the main reasons you would want to sell on Fiverr.
Please note that this is a reader-supported site.
Purchases made through genuinely recommended links may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
What is Fiverr?
Founded in 2010, Fiverr is one of the biggest freelance marketplaces on the Internet. Herein, freelancer with specific skill sets offer their services globally in exchange for money.
On Fiverr, you would mostly find individuals and organizations who want to outsource their work. For instance, if a company needs a social media manager to handle their social presence, they would list it on Fiverr with the intention to find an experienced freelancer to do the job.
As of 2020, there were over 3.2 million buyers on Fiverr looking for services across 500 categories.
How Fiverr Works?
If you are new to the world of freelancing, Fiverr may seem confusing. Let’s continue with the above example to better understand how Fiverr works.
When a company visits Fiverr looking for a “social media manager”, all they have to do is type the same in the search box on the homepage.
Seconds later, they would come across hundreds of what is popularly known as gigs. Gigs are a kind of a sales pitch that includes information about your area of expertise, your packages and pricing for potential buyers to check out.
If they feel like you have the necessary experience for the job, they can choose to either contact you for further discussion or directly hire you by making a payment.
Why You Should Sell On Fiverr?
Fiverr has been around for over a decade now and you may be wondering if it’s worth selling on Fiverr in 2021?
The short and simple answer is YES. Unlike regular jobs, Fiverr offers you way more flexibility in terms of age, interests and experience.
Making Money Has Never Been Easier
- One of the primary reasons you would think of joining Fiverr is to make money and let me tell you, it is entirely possible to make a living out of it.
- With $5 being the minimum price for a gig, it can easily go up to tens of thousands of dollars as you improve and grow your skill set.
- Moreover, even if you are a student or have a full-time job, you can still manage to make a few hundred bucks by the end of a week, doing what you like in your spare time.
For Marketing Your Business
- If you are an individual or an agency looking to increase brand awareness, Fiverr can be a great medium for connecting you to potential clients.
- If you establish a rapport for yourself, you could then direct clients to your website/app, wherein they can avail your services while you evade the Fiverr transaction fees.
Building Your Portfolio
- If you are a beginner, Fiverr can be a great source to get practical exposure.
- By working on small, entry-level jobs, you can apply what you know which not only will boost your confidence but also help you gather some positive feedback.
- These reviews would look great on your portfolio/resume and raise your chances of getting more, high-paying clients.
Step by Step Instructions on Becoming a Seller on Fiverr
Now that you know the potential of Fiverr, let’s get into how you can become a seller on Fiverr.
Step 1: On Fiverr’s homepage, click either on “Join” or “Join as a seller” in the top right corner.
Step 2: Continue by adding your email. You can also use Facebook, Google or Apple ID to create an account.
Step 3: Choose your Username and Password and Click on Join.
Further, you would be asked to go through a few videos/slides explaining the do and don’ts of the platform.
Step 4: Lastly, Fill up the necessary information and create your first gig.
3 Best Tips on Selling On Fiverr as a New Seller
It’s no secret that with opportunities comes saturation and with so much of it in every category, the only way to stand out from the crowd is to integrate these 3 valuable tips when starting out on Fiverr:
- Clear And Concise Gig: While designing your gig pay extra attention in making it as simple and as clear as possible. Mention a detailed explanation about what you offer, relevant projects/examples and your availability. However, be careful not to over-promise.
- Quick Turnaround Time: Be quick to respond to any queries, questions or changes your client seems to ask. Moreover, if you can, aim to deliver the work before the deadline. This would make a great impression before your client.
- Promoting Your Gig Outside Fiverr: Lastly, You could promote your gig using other social platforms like TikTok and Instagram.
You could also join some Facebook groups dedicated to help new Fiverr sellers and post a link of your Fiverr gig. Clients (in need of your services) might notice you.
You could also ask for tips to improve your gig to further increase your chances of getting hired.
3 Easy Gigs for Selling On Fiverr:
- Virtual Assistant jobs are gaining a huge popularity in recent years. A virtual assistant is someone independent hired to take care of basic day-to-day tasks.
- This includes managing schedules, booking appointments, updating calendars and replying to emails.
- The job is very simple and doesn’t require any prior experience, making it a perfect choice for beginners.
- You could charge anywhere from $5/hr to $20/hr depending on your experience and the intensity of work given.
- With the rise in online marketing trends, the demand for graphic designers is at an all time high. Today, businesses often require logos, posters, social media templates and much more.
- However, graphic designing ranks high on the skill scale. Not only should you know softwares like Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator, you also need creative and out-of-the-box thinking.
- You can start selling your services from $10/per design and increase as you move forward.
- Transcribing is another very simple but popular gig on Fiverr right now. Transcribing usually involves converting audio files into text.
- The pay depends on the length of the audio file but this gig can easily make you $50-$80 bucks a day.
Overall, Fiverr is a great way to get your freelance career started or is another solid avenue to add onto your freelancing business.
I hope this encourages you to start selling on Fiverr!
If you want more information on selling on Fiverr, Fiverr has a free course to learn how. Check it here.
- TikTok for blogging + social tips @sarah.chetrit
- Facebook Group to ask me anything Blog and Make Money
- Instagram for travel, blogging and Korean food @sarchetrit
Until next time,